Friday, September 10, 2010

Goodbye Paci!

For the last week we have been slowly cutting Havana's paci. She only gets when she goes to sleep and this past week as we've cut it - we stopped giving it to her as we read our family devotions (which happens right before bed)and instead just lay it in her crib for her to find after we walk out of the room. It was funny when we first started cutting it, she put it in her mouth, pulled it out and said, "uh-oh" :)

Anyway, Jason has the next few days off and so we decided to take it away so that he can be here for any adjustment period. I am happy to announce that she put herself to bed rather quickly and without much fuss at all. We watched her on the video monitor and she just played with her toys and then rocked her head back and forth a bunch to fall asleep (something she has done her whole life). So, it wasn't nearly as painful as I was thinking it was going to be. However, I'm trying to brace myself for a possible early morning with her. I'm spoiled - she really doesn't wake up until about 8:30 or sometimes later and I wonder if she wakes up at 7:30 or so and can't find her paci if she will wake up. I refuse to go in and get my children before 8:00am - so she'll just have to play in her crib until then, but it might be an early morning for me. :)

Today was a very good day. I was able to sleep in until almost 10am (thanks to my wonderful husband who woke up with the children!) and then met at friend at Chick-fil-A for lunch. That was fun - I enjoyed talking with her and love how similar our desires and passions are. However, I love and hate Chick-fil-A. I love it, but I find myself getting so frustrated with the other parents. The parents who send their children into the play place unsupervised. The ones who sit and talk instead of telling their children not to push the other children down the stairs. Sometimes I have said something to a child or two, but most of the time, I just become angry with the lack of parenting. Oh well. I thought tonight that perhaps I should have prayed for those parents in keeping with Southeast's new vision of being a praying church. I have been very diligant about praying for those I pass on the street, those in my neighborhood, and even people in the grocery store. In fact, it was tonight while shopping that I was "priding" myself on taking this being a praying church motto so serious as I was praying for those who were shopping with me. Then the Lord pointed out how I didn't pray for any of the parents (or children) today and Chick-fil-A... oops! Thank goodness for grace! :)

This afternoon was nice at home. Did some laundry, played with the children, and spent time with my husband. Can't beat that. We loaded everyone up in the car and headed down to UL for their family fun night, "Cards Under the Stars" -- on the way there, Havana was sighing pretty loudly in the car in the backseat. I turned to Jason and asked if she had asthma. He said no and that she was doing what I do when I'm bored - sighing. I laughed because I had no idea that I do that. He laughed because he pictured Havana running up asking him if she has asthma because mommy thought she did. So, I'm a little dramatic. :)

UL was fun! I love being on that campus. Havana loved the bounce houses and she did really well keeping her own with the big kids. She really is quite fearless. She enjoyed dancing to the music and popping bubbles. To a child, I guess it really was a magical night. After we left UL we drove to our favorite little mexican place that is truly a hole in the wall. Jason took me there once when we were dating and I almost didn't eat there because of how it looked... but boy was it good. It is very close to campus (as well as Jason's old apartment and our first house) and so we went there a lot and it was actually the last meal we had in louisville before moving away in 2006. Tonight was our first night back and I am happy to report that it is still just as good. Seriously, the best dinner I've had in a while.

We came home and after we put the children to bed - I left for the grocery. I had a fun Friday night and I was dressed up... going out to the grocery by myself just added to the amazing night. I was embarrassed at how relaxing the grocery was when I was out with no children. It made me giddy - I know, I'm a nerd. I came home feeling as if I had gotten a massage. Okay, maybe not that good, but still very nice! :)

No comments: