Tuesday, June 21, 2011

So Sweet... So Sad...

Dear Havana and Jonah,

I hope you know how much your daddy and I love you both! I know we've been busy lately getting major projects around the house completed and talking a lot about "the baby in mama's belly" but seriously, you all make our day and we love spending our days playing together. You both have been doing some pretty sweet things lately... and a few sad things... let me explain.

Cinderella! There is a song by Steven Curtis Chapman called "Cinderella" and Havana, your daddy loves to dance with you while he sings you that song. This is nothing new... in fact, he has been doing it since you were born. Well, lately your love to dance with him has increased and you often ask for it by name. You will go up to him and say, "Havana, Dada, Cinderella?" He will pick you up.. you will wrap one arm around his neck and with your other hand you will hold his hand and he will spin and dance while singing the chorus of the song. You simply love it and always call for me to watch you as you dance. You are such a princess and I pray that you won't settle in your quest for a mate, but that you will wait patiently for the man God created for you!

Jonah, since you are getting to the age where you want a turn with everything, daddy does Cinderella with you too. You laugh as he spends you around and don't worry... daddy changes the words so that it is appropriate for a boy! He'll sing, "Well, I will dance with big prince Jonah while he is still in my arms. For I know something the princess never knew..." You are such a prince and I can't wait to watch you grow in purity and in chivalry as you follow in your father's footsteps.

I often ask him how he can get through those dances without crying because I cry almost every time. He says it is hard, but that being asked to do it 400 times a day helps him overcome the emotion of it all. :) 

Havana, your imagination has really taken off lately and it is so much fun to watch you play with your toys. The other day we were all in the playroom... I was reading my book and you were playing with your little people and they were all sitting around a pretend table. You ran into the kitchen and grabbed the Lucky Charms (your snack of choice these days) and brought it in for them to eat. You had them carrying on lots of conversations, most of which I couldn't really understand, but then you broke out into a song... HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I asked whose birthday it was and you told me it was the octopus' birthday and that he was now two years old. It is so sweet watching you play.

Jonah, you have always been so good at playing by yourself, but lately you've turned into a cuddle bug. You are constantly wanting to snuggle with me and well, I'm always okay to take a break from anything to love on you. Your hugs make my day! The other day you crawled up on daddy and put your head on his shoulder. Daddy looked at me with tears in his eyes as you just sat snuggled on him... we love you!


Speaking of fun snuggles, Havana, we recently taught you all about butterfly kisses and Eskimo kisses and you have really enjoyed learning how to give and receive those. They have made it a part of our nighttime routine to give each other three kisses (a butterfly, an Eskimo, and a regular) before putting you in your bed. You actually started that little routine by asking for them, but the one stalling tactic I give into is snuggles... so you win. ;)

There have been a few sad moments lately. Mostly with you, Mister Jonah... I don't know what little phase you are entering, but you've started not doing so well in the nursery at church... we have even been paged out for you which isn't normal at all. :( It breaks mama's heart to think you aren't enjoying it anymore, but I'm hoping it is merely a phase.

You also had a nightmare the other night. You are my first child to have one... you woke up crying around 2am. I tried to get you to go back to sleep, but you continued to cry so i went in to check on you... that's when I noticed you were trying to crawl and that you were still asleep. It took me a minute to wake you up, but once I did, you gripped my neck so hard and it took you several minutes to calm down. I ended up rocking you for almost 30 minutes simply because I felt so sad that you were having a scary dream! We had acted out the story of David and Goliath that day, which is a story that always scares you, so I'm not sure if that was it or not, but I think we won't revisit that Bible story for a little while.

And, last night, we moved you into your new "big brother" room. Your daddy and I spent a lot of time planning and painting and decorating hoping to make it a room you would like. We put you in your new bed and you immediately stood back up screaming. I had a soft heart and quickly picked you back up and snuggled you for a little bit. Finally, it was time to put you down again and you once again began crying. I had to be strong and so walked out. You cried and cried your little heart out. Broke my heart, but eventually you overcame it and fell asleep and I was so proud! I'm sure you'll adjust in no time, but goodness, I don't like the transition periods that seem so hard at times.  I will admit it was a little sad for me too... I felt like you were far away since your old room was right next to ours. It reminded me that you (both) are growing up so quickly!




I hope you both know how blessed I feel to be your mommy. I look at you two and I look at your daddy and I am overwhelmed with how wonderful and almost magical my life is. The Lord has been so good to us and I pray that we will strive to be a family that seeks to do things His way. I pray that as you all grow up you will never doubt our love for you, but more than that, you will never doubt His love for you because it surpasses our love! We can't wait to watch you grow in Him!

Love,
Your Mommy! 

1 comment: