Monday, October 4, 2010

Organs

As many of you know, being involved in Worship and Creative Arts ministries is very close to my heart. From crafting services to leading drama teams... I am invested in the Creative Arts side of Worship! Recently, I was part of a meeting regarding this very matter at church. So, perhaps that is why it was on the brain. Anyway, last night while we were out, I saw a license plate holder that said, "Souls go to heaven... Organs don't."

I laughed and pointed it out to Jason. He didn't seem as amused by it. I said, "that's pretty clever." He said, "Oh, okay." It was unique... I had never seen a license plate holder, or even a bumper sticker, that talked about progressive worship. We don't need organs in our churches anymore. I know lots of people feel that they add a lot, but as this car was clearly saying, "souls go to heaven... organs don't."


There was a graphic on the holder that I couldn't quite figure out. It looked like a stomach, but why would that be on there? Why not a cross or even a dove. Then, after about 2 minutes  (we were behind the car for a while) I busted out laughing and said, "Oh, organs as in human organs." Jason, perplexed, said, "yes, what other kind of organ would it be?" I enlightened him on how I thought it was talking about church organs. He then joined in my laughter. Apparently, I have Worship and Creative Arts on the brain a little too much! :)

1 comment:

No Sacrifices said...

I'm a little embarassed to share this, but your story reminds me. Corey and I were driving home from vacation and we were sitting in traffic. I was exhausted and my brain was jumbled (plus, I have a tendancy to interpret things literally, always) and I saw a bumper sticker that read "POW and MIA, we will never forget." I looked at Corey and said "hmmmm, POW and MIA...that must be a brother and sister fraternity and sorority they were in." Corey looked at me, quite puzzled and didn't say a word. A few minutes later, it dawned on me "OH...P-O-W and M-I-A!!!" and I asked why in the world he let me get away with that. He said the comment was so out there, he had no idea what I was talking about or that I could have possibly been serious. Then we laughed all the way home. We still laugh about the POW and MIA fraternity and sorority anytime we see the bumper sticker on a car.