Monday, October 25, 2010

Random Thoughts on a Monday...

I am very, very behind on this blog. I have been meaning to talk about Momentum week at our church, I want to post something on this plastic owl that is in our back yard, and I began writing a post on the 19th about how Jason and I started dating, but I have yet to finish it. I have so many thoughts on different posts, but no time to post them.

Jason started this new rule recently where we don't get on the computer or our phones while the children are awake. A great rule, I might add. It helps keeps us involved with the kiddos and not distracted. I am loving the sweet memories I am making, but I feel bad that my blog isn't what I want it to be. I'm not as faithful in updating as I would like. My blog is... ugh... oh well! :)

Havana will be two on Thursday. Although if you ask her today how old she is she'll answer, "two". We've been teaching her how to say two for a while now. I figure she is close enough. :) If you know me, you know birthdays are a big deal to me. We celebrate them in true Darby fashion... making them a "festival."

Today I gave Havana some new coloring books and bracelets as the beginning of her bday festival. She has been having lots of fun with both. I love seeing her eyes light us when she gets a new gift.  She is truly so much fun. Tomorrow we have a fun day of shopping planned for her to get ready for her big day.

Thursday is her actual birthday, so we are planning a family day doing all of her favorite activities. I'm order a Cookie Cake for her because Cookies are her favorite food right now. I think she'll be excited for her cookie. :)

Friday we are having a small birthday play date at the Zoo. A Veggie Tales themed day complete with Bob Cupcakes.

Saturday we are having our family party. I'm planning on decorating the house with Veggie Tales things - I'm making a life sized Bob and Larry to tape on the wall for her. We also are having a Bob and Larry Cake. I'm super excited. 

I have no idea what we are going to get her yet. I think a bike with training wheels is certainly in the running. I would like to get her a little crib for her baby doll (she only has a stroller) and perhaps the game CandyLand. Havana really loves "Bob and Larry" but she really has never seen the show. So... I think I'm going to pick out one of the DVDs for her - I'm leaning towards Madame Blueberry.

Havana has now become a little mommy towards Jonah. Her new thing is to give him a bottle. For some reason she thinks it is important to give him a bottle whenever I get on the phone. Honestly, that doesn't happen much during the day (you know, if you call me because it usually goes straight to voice mail). Anyway, today Jason called so I answered. Havana then reached up and grabbed an empty bottle from the counter (she is way too tall!) and ran into the living room and tried to give it to Jonah. She then dropped it and clapped saying "Yay, Baby!" :) I'm laughing now as I remember. She has a heart of gold.

My children are amazing. As all mothers feel about their children! :) I love Havana's heart and seeing her develop into this wonderful little girl who is very, very artistic. I'm not sure if it is normal for a less than 2 year old to be able to draw stars, circles, elephants, etc. She will sit down at her craft table and not move for hours. Just coloring away. She is surprisingly good.

Jonah is becoming so interactive and yesterday sat up by himself for the first time. He's becoming so strong. I love to watch him play with his toys and squeal with delight. He is also so even tempered. He is my little buddy and I am so thankful for him.

They are both great sleepers, going down around 8 - waking up around 9. If we're home Jonah will take a morning nap, and then they both go down in the afternoon for 2-3 hours (sometimes Jonah will sleep for 4). It is truly wonderful. I love schedules. :)

Moving on in my thought process...
I cut my hair last week.... I'm talking chopped it! I was nervous as I've always had long hair and Jason has always loved my hair. However, with two small kids, it needed to go. I have to say, I love it. I feel that it is cute and trendy. I wake up and it looks good. I've never had that. So, for now, I'm going to stick with the shorter look. My hair has always been blonde. I'm a natural blonde. But... it has become darker lately. Sure, the fact that I dyed it might play a role in that, but still, it looks a lot darker these days. So, I'm considering highlighting it soon... we'll see. I've never had to deal with this before - I've always been one who would only get a hair cut once a year, but now, I might have to do more to maintain it, but it is a lot easier to manage. Cutting my hair, getting fake nails, and buying some new clothes has certainly helped my "girly" feelings lately.




I'm reading a new book. Choosing to See by Mary Beth Chapman! Wow. I'm almost halfway finished and I can already say that I recommend this book to EVERYONE. She is so honest and frankly, I feel as if I'm reading my own life. She talks about her faith during her teenage years and I can certainly relate to her experiences of wondering if she was truly saved. She talks about how she was chubby growing up and her nickname in her family way "Chubby Chapman" - she journals in her book about the depth of pain that has had on her. Oh, how I could relate to that.  She speaks of depression and how Christians don't understand it. She screams of her miscarriage, their marriage troubles, everything. I have not yet reached the point in the book yet where she loses her daughter... wow. I know that part is something I can relate to as well. She and I lost our adopted daughters on the same day. Granted, her daughter died and mine was ripped from me by the birthmother changing her mind, but still it helped me in that moment know that another strong, Christian family was grieving like we were. Jason and I would lay in bed and sob... it was comforting to know we were not the only ones. We prayed for them in the midst of our grief and I have felt a deeper kinship with the Chapman family ever since. Yet, this book is shedding light on things I never knew about Mary Beth. I'm growing, I'm relating, I'm changing. All the while thanking God for using broken people to accomplish good. Like Mary Beth. Like myself.

Speaking of books, mine is still in progress. My manuscript has been edited twice now, and I'm doing one last line by line review with Jason. Jason has never read it before so he is reading it with fresh eyes. He can spot things that might slip from my sight because I've stared at these words for literally a year. Writing a book is truly a labor of love, but I am enjoying sharing these moments with Jason. He and I will sit and read my book out loud. It has been good for our marriage, our communication, and for the book. I am excited to see what God is going to do. Certainly, I don't have expectations of becoming a best seller... but I do pray this is a spring board to help women around the world grasp the importance of prayer and praying for our husbands! If you haven't yet looked us up on facebook, please do, For the Love of our Husbands.

Well, nap time is drawing to a close. This seems like a pretty poinless post, but they are my random thoughts. :)

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love reading your blog posts! You are am amazing writer and such a witness to your faith in God! I learn so much from you!