Saturday, September 17, 2011

My Funny Firstborn!!!!

Dear Havana,

You are so funny! I have been trying to write down all the funny things you do and say in order to remember them, but that is becoming hard because you are constantly making me laugh! I love watching you use your imagination, improve in your speech, and become who the Lord has made you to be! Here are some of my favorites:
  • We were getting in the car and after I sat down behind the wheel you said, "vana drive." I explained that you couldn't driving, but that mommy was driving. Without missing a beat you said, "Baby Jonah drive?" -- I laughed wondering if my driving scares you. 
  • There is a billboard with a picture of the Mona Lisa on it. You love that billboard. You always look for it and yell, "Hi Mona Lisa!" when we pass it. The other day you were drawing and I asked you what you were drawing and you said, " the Mona Lisa" - you are my little artist. :) Speaking of drawing, the other day in the car you were drawing and you pointed to your picture and said, "baby Jonah." I looked at the picture and it was a clear face! I was so proud and filled with laughter! You are so cute.


  • We tried potty training you recently. You really enjoyed sitting on the big girl potty. You would sit on there for a long time and you would say, "Vana sit on big girl potty. Vana big girl." However, my sweet girl, you never actually went to the bathroom. When you had to go you would scream, "no sit on big girl potty. Vana sit in diaper." Needless to say, we put a pause on the potty training. ;) 
  • You're getting very into the "big girl" -- you want to eat "like a big girl" drink water "like a big girl" and sit in the "big girl swing" - it is fun to watch you mature.  
  • You are certainly becoming "mommy's little helper" - you help me out a lot by obeying, picking up your toys, and feeding tucker. Whenever Jason walks out of the house with a trash bag you yell, "vana help" and you help him walk it to the curb!
  • You are wanting to dress up like mommy too! You'll put on my shoes or my jewelry and pretend to be me. This warms my heart. Today you were wearing my tennis shoes and then you picked up my Bible study book and said, "my read this too." I loved that you associated me with a Bible study book! I hope I continue to set that example for you!
  • You have some interesting ideas of what mommy looks like. There is billboard by the zoo with a photo of Paula Dean.  You insist that is mommy. Not sure what I think about that one, dear child. :) You also think Jodi Benson (the host of God Made Me) looks like me and whenever she comes on the show you scream, "mama." The other person you seem to think is me is a character from a Dr. Seuss book. In Green Eggs and Ham there is "Sam I Am" and the "person" (aka creature) who won't try the green eggs. Well, that unnamed person you insist is mommy. Thanks, Honey. :) 




  • When reading your books, your newest thing is "matching." You will match up pictures. If on one page there is a picture of a girl eating and then someone else is eating a few pages later, you flip back and look at both illustrations. You do this with everything. You even make connections that I didn't know where there. We have a book of several of the Princess stories and if the prince is wearing a cape in the Sleeping Beauty story - you will flip to the Snow White story and look at the prince wearing a cape in that one too. It amazes me that you can seem to find a "matching" connection in whatever book we are reading. You are so smart.
  • Speaking of the Princess book - you are getting into the whole Princess theme. It started back at Disney World when your room was decorated with the Princesses. Then we came home and you had princess pajamas. Then you started reading their stories. We insert the songs from the move into the books and you love to sing and dance. The other day I walked into your room and you were dressed up in a crown, fancy dress, and you were wearing some jewelry. You told me you were "Aurora."  I love watching this Princess stage and I'm fairly certain we'll be having a princess themed birthday party! 


  • You LOVE to sing. In fact, last weekend when I picked you up from the nursery I said, "I'm here to get Havana." The nursery volunteer said, "Oh Havana, she is such a good singer." You sing constantly. You recently went through a "Little Miss Muffett phase where you sang that often. One day I walked into a room and you were standing on a stool with a microphone singing that song and acting it out. It was precious to watch because you had no idea I was there. Currently you love the "Wonder Pets" theme song and "Jesus Loves Me"
  • Every night before bed we do "shadows" on the wall. We go in the same order every night: bunny, cow, butterfly, sheep, duck, horse/donkey. Well, the other day I was changing your diaper and you were holding your Pluto and you noticed his shadow on the wall. You lit up and said, "First we do bunny (made Pluto do the bunny shadow), second we do cow..." and I laughed so hard. I loved watching you pretend, but that is also the first time I heard you use the words "first" and "second" and so forth. Smart cookie! :) 
  • watch you play with him. Often times when you are singing a song you will run up to him and get in his face and sing it really loudly... I tell myself you are trying to teach it to him, but I'm not sure if that is it or not. We recently taught you all how to play tag (which ended up being me running between the two of you while you both sat laughing in the yard) and Hide-n-Seek. It is fun that we're getting to that "game" stage with you all. The other day you and Jonah were playing on your bed and you leaned down to give him a kiss on the cheek. He moved away after your kiss and you said, "No baby Jonah, on the mouth." and then you pinned him down and planted a huge kiss on his mouth. He just sat there wide eyed. I laughed until I cried. Not all of your interactions with Jonah are sweet, however. You've come up with this new phrase, "No, Baby, that's mine." You will say it whenever he is getting too close to something you are playing with. We have tried to tell you that when you say that phrase you aren't having a good heart... hopefully if we are consistent you will stop saying that. 


  • You were giving Jonah a hug recently and you hugged him so hard that he fell and hit his head on the kitchen floor. I watched the whole thing and so I know your heart was in the right spot, but I still told you to go and sit on the couch until I was able to come talk to you. That is where I send you when you are in trouble. I comfort Jonah and then go over and talked to you. I talked about how we need to be gentle, but stressed that I knew your heart was in the right place so you aren't in trouble. Once I was done talking I told you that you were allowed to get up and as soon as you stood up you said, "now I spank your bottom" and you spanked your own bottom (which is what I do after talking with you on the couch if you have disobeyed). I tried to explain that because your heart was right you didn't deserve a spanking this time, but I'm not sure you grasped that. :) 
  • I did ask you once why were you being mean to Jonah. A question I ask you a lot. Your answer was, "because I was mean to Jonah." I know I shouldn't have, but I started laughing. I really, really try hard to not laugh when disciplining you, but sometimes it is difficult. Anyway, I was really proud of the fact you used the word "because" - we have been trying to teach you to answer us with more than a one word answer. 
  • In regards to your speech you continue to make progress. Last weekend when I picked you up from the nursery at church we were walking in the hallways and I asked you what you learned about. you told me you learned about King David. I asked why did Samuel choose King David and you told me "because he had a good heart." Another mom heard my conversation and asked how old you were. I said 2.5 and she was shocked and said, "so is my daughter and we don't have conversations like that." Now, I'm not celebrating her daughter's delay by any means, but I was so happy to hear someone compliment your speech! You are awesome, little one! 
Those are just a few of the highlights that I've been storing up in my heart. I love being your mama and watching you grow! You are my very funny firstborn!

No comments: