Friday, July 12, 2013

Sickly Spring.

Aside from Havana's stomach flu in January, we had a remarkably healthy winter. I'm thankful for that and am sure that the Lord was protecting us (it also helped, I'm sure, that we rarely left the house). However, we had a sickly spring.

It began the Thursday before Easter. I had come inside from taking trash out and I noticed Jonah was crying. I asked him if he was okay and thought that perhaps the show he was watching upset him. He said, "yes. I'm not crying." I smiled at him and said, "okay, buddy. But's it okay to cry." He kept insisting that he wasn't crying.

That night I told Jason about it and how I thought Jonah was trying to be all big and tough and not admit to crying. That night, he woke up in the middle of the night and wanted to snuggle. I remember laying there on the bedroom floor thinking how sweet Jonah was and how these middle of the night snuggles are priceless.

The next morning, when I went to wake him up his eye was sealed shut and he was in pain. Poor guy had pink eye. He truly hadn't been crying the day before.

I had never experienced eye as a mommy... let's just say it is horrible. You can't take the children anywhere because of the big, pink eye. Yet, they feel fine during the day so cabin fever sets in. They are up all night because their eyes hurt. It was a lot harder than I realized.



Of course it spread. Next to Selah, then to Havana, and then to Asa. We had two weeks where we were unable to go anywhere or do anything. It felt like two months.


Then, in early May, Strep throat hit. Selah woke up in the middle of the night with a fever. The entire next day she continued with it and we began to notice that she was drooling and putting her fingers down her throat. We started her on antibiotics the next day. The day after that was Mother's Day. Jason left for work around 4:30am and at 5:30am Jonah woke up with a high fever. So began his journey with it. We ended up just giving Havana antibiotics as well... just in case. Ha.

Jonah at 5:30AM on Mother's Day.


In early June I came down with a terrible cold. We thought it was related to allergies, but it wasn't. A day or two later I was feeling great and the children came down with it.
three sick kiddos hanging out in mama's bed.


Germs never stop. Ha. I did try hard to "redeem" these sick days... lots of snuggling. Special shows. Lots of grace. No one had the stomach flu and so I did okay.... praying these small doses of illness will help me have confidence to get through the next vomit episode in my house... which is my constant fear. ha.

No comments: