Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Date #3

On March 1st Jason opened his envelope which had this letter,
"Think of a time period in history that you find fascinating. If you are thinking Civil War... then we're on the same page. This month let's go on a date to the Frazier Museum to see the "My Brother - My Enemy" exhibit!


Date Number three on St. Patrick's Day!


Our family minus Selah.



We looked at our calendar and made plans to go on Saturday, March 17th. This was our first time to go on a day date without the children (save the one time we went car shopping which totally didn't count as a date, ha). We both commented on how nice it was to be away all day and we said several times how our poor babysitter was in over her head, but she's a rock star! 

We had Erin come over around 9:45am and we left for our date. Neither Jason or I had ever been to this museum before so we wanted to see all of it and not just the Civil War temporary exhibit. Since I had planned this date, I had time to prepare myself for doing a museum with Jason... we are very different. He likes to read every word of every sign. I just like to casually walk and look and only read the few things that spark my interest, but this being a date I planned for Jason I wanted to make sure to let him take his time. 
I took this photo at the museum because Jason and I have an inside joke about "The Great War"


The top floor of the museum is the British Armory and Jason really enjoyed it much more than he thought he would. He did take a while to read everything. I actually enjoyed it too - some of my favorite History classes were about Europe in the 15th century and so I enjoyed reading about the British Monarchy during that time. There was a small section on  John Smith and Pocahontas and I shared with Jason how as a little girl I was upset that she moved to England and didn't marry John Smith. We took our time and walked through the entire top floor and about half of the second floor. I enjoyed learning more about Daniel Boone - who I grew up knowing all about his name, but not much of the history behind his name. 

Anyway, then we took a break for lunch. We went to Kashmir (again) because it was Jason's choice - we got it to go and ate it outside on a bench in the warm sun shine. Just sitting out there made up both feel like we were on vacation. It was very relaxing and oh so yummy! We also made a quick stop at a jewelry store to pick up some rings I had worked on. Then, it was back to the museum to "quickly" go through the 2nd half. We walked in our drinks and the lady at the desk asked up to finish them on the first floor and so we did a few of the activities they had in the lobby.  There was a poor girl doing a monologue and only about 2 people were in the audience. Jason and I tried to stifle our laughter and we talked about how sad it was no one was listening to her and what would she do if the two people walked up and left? Would she stay in character? Come up with an excuse to leave? Even now I'm laughing out loud thinking about those jokes - and I'm sure the poor girl thought we were laughing at her performance - which we weren't. haha. 
Where we ate our lunch!


Coloring while finishing our lunch.


Love him!


Anyway, a few sips of soda later and we made our way up to the Civil War exhibit. It was interesting and sparked some conversations between us on what it must have been life before and after the war. My favorite part was seeing the commitment papers of Mary Todd Lincoln and to see her actual signature. History is one of my favorite subjects!  

Around two o'clock we left and headed home! Erin had put the children down for their naps and we enjoyed another few hours of silence. Ah, relaxing! :)

No comments: